Now, I've known this for quite a while. Unfortunately, a few other people got to know this today as well.
My building has a rotating door that goes around and around letting people in one at a time. The door recently had it's "flaps" replaced and consequently it needs to be pushed with quite a bit a strength. While there is no speed limit on the door, I apparently was pushing too hard for the "disabled" person on the other side of the door. I had my headphones on and was just walking through the door like I normally do, when her friend in the quarter behind her physically pulls the rotating door to a halt to get my attention.
So I was stuck in a rotating door and pulled my headphones off to hear some lady pounding on the glass telling me that I was going too fast for her disabled friend. Thankfully, I quickly realized that giving her a doubled-fisted hand gesture would probably be inappropriate in the workplace. I therefore shot her the nastiest "whatever" glance I could muster, the next best thing given the situation.
I don't make it a normal practice of mine to mow over disabled people. But I think the expectation that I should have revised my pace for a hobbling middle-aged woman (whom I was completely unaware of on the other side of the door) is unreasonable. I hope they recognize me and stop me in the hall someday so I can shoot them another nasty glance.
Pepper, the Master Spice
1 week ago
No comments:
Post a Comment