Thursday, June 23, 2011

Craigslist

Go craigslist! Last night, I was sitting on the couch and decided that I ought to make an attempt to get rid of some furniture prior to an upcoming party we're hosting. I could give it to the Good Will, or post it for free, or take it to the dump, or try and sell it on craigslist for money. Before I went to bed, I posted a 12 year-old dresser and a 6 year-old IKEA bed frame (w/ 12 year-old mattress) for $80 each. When I woke up this morning, I had about 10 emails from interested parties. I ended up getting rid of both less than 24 hours after posting. Awesome!

I've sold a number of items on craigslist and am always amazed at how well it works. I think the key to getting rid of something on CL is to provide a good description with good pictures, price it just below similar items, and screen out the weirdos with questions about what you are selling. For instance, this was the nice and simple email I received from the "winner" - the one I chose to sell to:

"We can come get it tonight. Kirstin"

Instead of these people:
"are there any etching on the dresser itself? Im only asking because this would be for my sons room. Could we take a look on Friday? thanks Jennifer"

"Where is Kenmore in relation to Lake Tapps?"

"Hi there, if the bed is still available, I would like to purchase it. I am wondering if I can come by tonight and pay for the bed, and pick up the mattress and frame, and then pick the boxspring up this weekend. I don't think it would fit in my Explorer, and I can not afford to rent a truck, as I have been recently laid off, but I should be able to borrow a truck this weekend. Please let me know if it is still available, and if so, will this work for you?"

I also posted my recumbent bike and have received a half a dozen emails on that one. It's slightly more complicated because the dude that sold it to me wants to buy it back at a significantly reduced price. Maybe I'm dumb for lowering the price, but I want to sell it. However, this guy is going to have to pay more if he wants the bike back!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment