Miles Nolan Comstock was born on Wednesday, August 4, 2010, at 11:41 am. He weighed 7 lbs 13 ounces and was 19 inches long, though most nurses that looked at him thought he was a big boy and longer than the recorded 19 inches. After his arrival into the world, he was taken over to the nursery so they could monitor him for a while because he swallowed some amniotic fluid during the birth.
What we thought would only be a few hours of observation in the nursery, turned into a two and half day visit for Mr. Miles. I didn't get to hold him until almost 9 hours after his birth, which was extremely difficult, but I was elated when I finally held my little guy in my arms for the first time! While in the nursery, he was working with all his might to pass the fluid and his body didn't want to think about anything else. The doctors and nurses hooked him up to an IV and oxygen to keep him nourished, and monitors to check his heart rate, respiration, and temperature.
Bryan and I made multiple visits down to the nursery during those first few days and I finally had the chance to nurse him on Thursday evening. I was concerned he would have a difficult time figuring out the whole eating thing since we didn't get to bond immediately after birth and he didn't eat for the first day and half, but he latched right on and nursed wonderfully. What a trooper!
On Friday morning the doctors gave him the okay to be weaned from the IV and he was brought to our room. Bryan and I spent to afternoon holding and cuddling our newest boy and bugged the hospital staff to discharge us. At 5:30pm they released us to come home.
Cyrus and Sage were able to finally really meet and hold their younger brother. They both were super excited to hold Miles and he seems to enjoy their company as well. They are learning more about what it means to be an older sibling with each passing hour and are asking many questions. Sage is slowly realizing Miles is not like her baby dolls, but is actually a "real" baby.
Here are some pictures of the whole "birth" ordeal:
We also created a little video of Miles while he was in the newborn care unit -- this video shows his breathing and why he was there in the first place:
Pepper, the Master Spice
1 week ago
We are so glad that you are all doing well! Hope that Miles continues his happy baby-ness for you, especially after a rocky but healthy start. Much love to all of you!
ReplyDelete