While I worked on building out the kids' new rooms, and Mandy worked on growing a baby, our yard worked on becoming a gigantic weed jungle. As I indicated in my previous post, it's reached an intolerable point. If it weren't for my sloth redneck neighbor (not that there's anything wrong with that), my yard would be the eyesore of the neighborhood.
One more wrinkle, Mandy hasn't (yet) allowed any chemical weed killer... there is evidence here and here that lend some credibility towards not using Roundup. So we went on a web hunt for solutions that didn't involve us getting out and picking our weed jungle by hand. Here is what I found:
1 gallon white distilled vinegar
1 cup salt
2 tablespoons dishwashing soap
The above concoction seems a bit more environmentally friendly and only cost me about $2.50 to make. I used a handheld pump sprayer to spray the first batch on a large section of weeds where I've been parking my car while my garage door has been broken. About 2 hours later, the entire area is nearly brown and wilting. I've heard, anecdotally, that it has some serious killing power and should only be used in areas where you absolutely want nothing to grow. I'll report back as to whether or not this is the case!
If nothing else, it makes me crave a bag of some salt and vinegar potato chips!
Pepper, the Master Spice
1 week ago
No comments:
Post a Comment