Today Cyrus had his Halloween party at preschool. They were going to be decorating cookies with frosting and sprinkles so Bryan and I had to come up with a "cookie" and frosting option that Cyrus could decorate and enjoy without all the refined sugar and grains. Most of the SCD cookie recipes include almond flour, which still seems to be too textured or gritty for Cyrus' gut. We instead used an almond butter brownie recipe and plopped it onto cookie sheets as you would for regular cookies and they came out well! Bryan whipped up a frosting recipe that uses egg whites, honey, pinch of salt, and a little, real vanilla. We flavored some of it with real lemon extract and it tastes great! Cyrus' teacher said he loved it!
When I dropped Cyrus off to school today in his spider costume, I didn't mention to him that Sage and I would be coming by for the last circle time. We were able to sneak in without him noticing and it was awesome to see him sitting and listening to the story so intently! The expression on his face when he saw us was priceless and precious! He was so excited to see both of us and kept quietly looking at me smiling. I have included some pictures here.
What are butternut squash buttons? The ladybug & spider are toooo cute!!! Love the pics and I think our bumblebees & flower would have gone great with your costumes too. Ashley is sitting here with me looking at the pics and she wanted to say that we all love & miss you guys. She wishes she could have gone trick or treating with you too. Love-Ang & Ashley
ReplyDeleteI think we would have made a great Halloween group too! Butternut squash buttons make a great snack food. We just cook some butternut squash and puree it with a few eggs, a little honey, and a dash of cinnamon. I pour them into a mini-muffin tin (usually lined with paper cups) and cook them for about 40 minutes at 300 degrees or until browned around the edges. Both the kids LOVE them and they are a great snack to send to preschool with Cyrus! Plus they are healthy with great vitamins! :)
ReplyDelete