
We're thinking of ripping out our front yard soon and expand the "grassy" area. The current grassy area is about 12 feet by 30 feet and the expansion will give us about 20 feet by 40 feet Doing so means the following:
(1) Build a retaining wall closer to my neighbor's yard and backfill with dirt.
(2) Remove the current retaining wall and push it further back into our hill.
(3) Till and level the grassy area
(4) Replace grassy area
Lots of little details are missing above, but it gives you the idea. It's the last step that's causing the dilemma right now as I look at my nice brown unwatered grass. If I replace the current grass with nice new grass, I'm compelled to think in my mind that I'll actually take care of it and water it. But, I'm no optimist -- I'm a pessimistic-leaning realist. I won't water the grass, just like I'm not watering my garden right now. No way in hell! So why waste the time and care of trying to plant new grass and pretend like I'll take care of it. Next summer it'll be dead and full of dandelions!
So, I'm thinking: putting green. Or at the very least, artificial turf that I can chip off of. I can feel you Seattle-native tree-huggers cringing right now, but I don't care. The alternative is to weedmat the whole yard and put rocks down!
No comments:
Post a Comment