Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Missing Daria

Having a pet die after more than twelve years of companionship is not easy, and we continue to think of Daria or be reminded of her on a daily basis. (Mandy's crying right now, we threw out Daria's shampoo today)

What we've learned is that pets are worth the effort. Having a pet means work and an additional responsibility, but they're worth it -- otherwise we wouldn't be so sad right now. We'll get another dog when the time is right. (probably another German Shepherd) For now, we're remembering what a good friend Daria was.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Guys! I was bumming around on Brian and Scottee's blog and saw Comstock and here you are! Just wanted to lend my empathy for the loss of Daria. My husband and I had to put our first Shepherd down at the end of February. I'm still heartbroken over it, but we are just grateful to have had her in our lives! It get's a little easier, although I still have her leash with collar attached in the storage room with no thoughts of moving it any time soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment and welcome! (we kick around the Barry blog ourselves quite often)

    We miss our *puppy* too... on our way back from the beach last Friday, my almost-4 year-old was asking me if we could get another dog like Daria. I said he had to take that up with his mommy! She and I agreed to wait a few years -- we got Daria when we were 20 years old and in college. She's affected (for better or worse) every decision in our post- high school lives. I kept her collar, wrote her name on it, and stuffed it in my one box of life's memorabilia.

    When we finally do get another dog, we'd be hard pressed to get anything but another German Shepherd... they're like people (as you probably know)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS -- Hi Erica! Good to hear from you... love the pictures of your dogs, and the Camaro! (even if it's not yours)

    ReplyDelete