Thursday, October 7, 2010

Insurance

With me being a T1 diabetic and Cyrus with Crohn's, I think our family qualifies as being higher end users of insurance. I don't want to be a high end user, but then again I didn't get a choice in the matter (and neither did Cyrus). Also, we are receiving several thousand dollars in post-insurance bills for having Miles and it's left me wondering two things: (1) How in the hell do people afford to have a baby? $2000-$3000 out of pocket for someone who is "insured" seems excessive for most people (including me). (2) It's time to switch to a new insurance plan. My insurance plan has been great up until the last two years when policy changes caused the out-of-pocket $$$ to just start skyrocketing.

I've heard mostly positive things about Group Health and that is our logical/financial alternative. My personal qualm with Group Health is that every researcher I've ever worked with from that company rubs me the wrong way... like they are hoity toity. If you have an opinion to share, please do...

Lastly, I don't mean to get political, but to not do something about the coverage of health care and its associated costs is just plain dumb and ignorant. I am altogether for the new health care reform act and sincerely hope that it does not get repealed. The argument of "not liking government to control yada yada yada..." is asinine and is just not good enough. Most people in health care (providers, insurance, pharmaceuticals, devices) are looking to make a serious buck. They don't give two shits about you. The health care industry shouldn't be a free market, it won't regulate itself, and we all get screwed in the end unless we intervene...

That tirade was fueled by someone who told me Medicare should be abolished! Sorry! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment